- Preheat your oven to 375F.
To make the Creole Aromatic Base:
- In a medium pan, saute the celery with the green and red bell pepper over medium heat. Cook until the celery and bell peppers soften, about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and Creole seasoning. Cook until you can smell the spices, about 1 more minute. Add the corn and stir well. Cook until the corn is warm and absorbing some of the spices. You want most of the moisture to have cooked off…keep cooking and stirring until the pan is almost dry.
- Transfer the Creole Aromatic Base to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the Dijon, parsley, and cornmeal. Use an immersion blender to puree the mix until about 80% smooth. You can also do this in a food processor.
To prepare the Hearts of Palm:
- Cut the Hearts of Palm into ½-inch pieces. Then, chop or tear the pieces into smaller bite-sized pieces. You want the Hearts of Palm to resemble crab meat. Use your knife or hands to achieve this.
To make the Vegan Hearts of Palm Creole Crab Cakes:
- Add the Hearts of Palm to the bowl with the Creole Aromatic Base. Stir well to combine. You want your mixture to be able to hold together in a small ball. If it’s too wet, add more cornmeal. If it’s too dry, add a splash of water or another 1-3 teaspoons of Dijon mustard.
To shape and bake the Vegan Hearts of Palm Creole Crab Cakes:
- Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat. Spread the breadcrumbs into a thin layer on the baking pan. If you’re not using breadcrumbs, simply omit this step.
- Portion about ¼ cup of the Vegan Hearts of Palm Creole Crab Cake mixture for one crab cake. Using your hands, flatten the crab cake until about ¾-1 inch thick. Lightly coat both sides with the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Spread the vegan crab cakes out, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 25 minutes. Use a spatula to flip over. Then, bake 10-15 more minutes, until crispy and golden on the outside.
- Serve immediately!
Notes: Medium Ready In: 1 hour 4 servings